here's a glimpse of how each page of Fantasiege is done. this is page one of the first issue.
1. After reading the script, I do one or two thumbnails on paper, and choose the one that best conveys what the script is saying. Too lazy to scan the thumbnails so just use your imagination; imagine several pencil squiggles around 2" x 3" each.
2. Now I start with the rough sketch of the page itself (first image of the series above). This one's directly on photoshop so I can't exactly call it "pencilling", can I? But that's the process I'm mimicing, really.
3. The sketches are loose, but it's all right since I'll be the one to digitally ink over them anyway. At this stage, I go over the rough sketch with clearer, cleaner, and bolder lines. For some of the pages, kurorima
helps lay down line weights for added depth.
4. I pass color flats duties to mezaih
where he puts in those extra patterns on the costumes and the floors and walls.
5. mezaih then passes the color flats to dxsinfinite
for shadows and highlights. Once dxsinfinite is done with putting depth, he passes it back to me for color adjustments and whatnot.
6. The lettering is added to the image to complete the page. I did the lettering while mezaih and dxsinfinite were busy with the coloring.
so there! a completed fantasiege page.
>whew< back to work...
p.s. FANTASIEGE is owned by GlyphStudios, Inc.
for more fantasiege goodness, check out www.fantasiege.com